Managing psoriasis flare-ups
Psoriasis is a chronic condition, which means it cannot be cured. But that doesn’t mean that you will always have symptoms. In fact, the symptoms of psoriasis often come and go in cycles.
The best way to keep symptoms from flaring is to work with your doctor to find a psoriasis treatment plan that works for you and avoid anything that seems to trigger your symptoms. Below are some common triggers as well as solutions to help avoid them.
Common psoriasis triggers
- Stress is something that we cannot avoid, but we can learn to manage it.
- Try meditating for a few minutes every day. Pay attention to the present moment and focus only on breathing. This can help the body and mind reach a state of calm and balance.
- Also try to be physically active most days of the week. Choose an activity you enjoy. It will be easier to stick with it.
- Certain medications can trigger psoriasis symptoms. Some blood pressure medications and heart medications for example. Talk to your doctor about all medicines you’re taking.
Injury to the skin
- Sometimes injury to the skin, including sunburn, can trigger psoriasis symptoms. To avoid symptoms brought on by injury, take care around sensitive areas—when scrubbing in the shower, for example—and always protect your skin when in the sun to avoid getting burned.
- Sometimes the things that we are allergic to can trigger psoriasis symptoms. Keep track of any environmental or food allergies you may have, and make an effort to avoid them.
Certain foods and drinks
- Ever notice that certain things you eat or drink seem to go hand-in-hand with psoriasis flares? Try to stay away from those foods and drinks for a while to see if avoiding them helps you avoid flares.
- You are probably aware that smoking is harmful to your health, but you may not know that it has also been linked to psoriasis flares. If you smoke, talk to your doctor about quitting, and try to limit your exposure to second-hand smoke.
- Drinking too much alcohol can lead to flares in many people with psoriasis. Try to limit your intake of alcohol.